The Santa Barbara Culinary Experience Celebrates Julia Child: March 13-15, 2020
Photo courtesy of the Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute, Harvard University
Julia Child could have chosen to live anywhere in the world; near the end of her illustrious career, she selected Montecito as her home. After spending years abroad, and splitting time between residences in Provence and Cambridge, Massachusetts, and after the death of her husband Paul, Julia moved permanently to the area in which she had vacationed throughout her life and in which she lived temporarily over the years. She likened Santa Barbara and its climate and atmosphere to her beloved French Riviera.
In honor of Julia’s passion for the Santa Barbara area and its culinary wonders, the Santa Barbara Culinary Experience (SBCE) welcomes visitors and the local community to celebrate both the bounty of this beautiful region, and Julia’s place within it. Join in this citywide celebration that evokes the vibrancy of Julia’s spirit.
Santa Barbara, the American Riviera. Photo by Jay Sinclair, courtesy of Visit Santa Barbara
The Santa Barbara Culinary Experience (SBCE), in partnership with The Julia Child Foundation for Gastronomy and the Culinary Arts will host an expansive citywide calendar of events for a three-day weekend, March 13-15, 2020. This epicurean celebration of both Julia Child and Santa Barbara’s culinary scene involving chefs, mixologists, restaurateurs and the local community, with guest appearances from nationally renowned food and beverage talents.
The late cookbook author, chef, and TV personality was passionate about teaching others about the culinary arts, and she was an aficionado of Santa Barbara. SBCE will gather the community and visitors to celebrate the bounty of Santa Barbara’s abundant resources found in its local farms, ranches, vineyards and ocean, inspired by the spirit of Julia and her legacy of culinary education.
Montecito Farmer’s Market. Photo by Blake Bronstad, courtesy of Visit Santa Barbara
Event pricing ranges from $15 for a single event to the all access Platinum Pass for $995 per guest. Highlights include:
* A new, complimentary downloadable Julia Child Map of the beloved chef’s favorite haunts in the Santa Barbara area for self-guided tours, specially created for the launch of the Santa Barbara Culinary Experience
* A Celebration of Santa Barbara Wine: SBCE Welcome Reception
* Border Grill on the Beach: SBCE Signature Luncheon featuring Julia Child Award Recipients Chefs Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger
* Tour of wine cellar and Julia Child-inspired dinner at San Ysidro Ranch
* Documentary screening of Nothing Fancy and dinner from Chef Claudette Zepeda (El Jardín) at Belmond El Encanto
* Five-course dinner at Bettina with special guest Chef Chris Bianco of Pizzeria Bianco
Bibi Ji Dishes. Photo courtesy of Santa Barbara Culinary Experience
* An evening with Raj Parr and Chef Kiran Bheemarao at Bibi Ji
* Sunday Brunch at Miramar Rosewood Beach Resort with James Beard Foundation Award-Winning Pastry Chef Sherry Yard
* Alisal Guest Ranch exclusive after-party featuring Chef Ludo Lefebvre
* Savor Santa Barbara: SBCE Neighborhood Tasting, showcasing Santa Barbara’s unique culinary districts at the Santa Barbara Historical Museum
* Paella Class and DIY Gin and Tonic Bar at Loquita
* Jonata Winemaker Dinner at The Lark with Chef Jason Paluska
Photo courtesy of Santa Barbara Culinary Experience
40+ additional unique educational and experiential sessions, including:
* Santa Barbara’s History Through Food (with acorn pasta demo) at Barbareño
* Farmers’ Market Tour & Gourmet Dinner with Executive Chef Greg Murphy at bouchon
* SBCE Wine Academy seminars, including “Santa Barbara Wine 101,” “GSM Wine Blending,” “Pinot Noir Through the Ages,” “California Charcuterie and Cool-Climate Syrah” and more
* Olive Oil Master Class with Theo Stephan from Global Gardens
* Ganna Walska Lotusland Tour and Garden Cocktail Making Class
Santa Barbara Culinary Experience – March 13-15, 2020
Visit http://www.sbce.events/events for calendar, details, and ticket information.